Monday, February 3, 2014

Getting Away

View from the House


I had such a good weekend at my aunt's house in the mountains!  Getting there was so tough.  Things were just crazy at home and I thought we were going to have to go to the hospital.  We finally got my little guy calmed down, and, as I'd run out of time, I literally grabbed stuff and just threw it in my suitcase.  I knew it wouldn't matter once I got there.  I was right.

I hadn't had much sleep, so I slept almost the entire way up there (it's almost a four-hour drive).  Once we got there and unpacked, all we had to do was talk, laugh, play board games, eat our meals, and go for walks.  One of my sisters brought some meditation CDs, which were great, even though I slept through the first one.  They were talking about what an amazing voice the guy had, and I realized that I never even heard it; I was out that quickly!

Three of my four sisters went, plus three cousins, one of whom I hadn't seen since high school.  It was great how well we all got along and how similar we were.  We shared stories about growing up, laughing and crying together.  It helped me on this journey of self-discovery because we share some addiction/eating issues.

The food was great.  I've been up there many times with some of my sisters and cousins, and there were a lot of junk food fests as we went out to eat and hit the local bakery.  This time, although there were a few desserts, the meals were healthy and delicious.  I took my cacao muffins, and I never felt deprived while they ate their desserts.

My goal was to walk to the end of the driveway.  I'm clueless about distances, so I have no idea how long it is.  It's certainly not long by most people's standards, but the last few times I've been there, I couldn't even walk up the stairs, so I was thrilled to make my goal.

Walking Down the Driveway

Cousins Going for a Walk

Getting away was hard, but I'm so glad I did it.  I felt refreshed and ready to handle the issues at home.  It felt great to do something for myself, and we hope to make this a regular occurrence.

 
View from my Bedroom


No comments:

Post a Comment