Thursday, February 17, 2022

Egg Roll in a Bowl, Vegan Style *****


*****



Oh my word, this was so good!  I'm in love with the name, and I had to try the recipe.  It had all sorts of meat and oil in it, so I created my version.  Delicious!

I made it with a bag of Coleslaw Mix because that's what I had.  It could be made with shredded cabbage, either green or a combination of green and red, plus some extra carrot, too.

To easily grate fresh ginger, I keep it in the freezer, and grate it, while frozen, with a Microplane.

I enjoyed the kick from the Chile de Arbol powder, but it was good without it, too.  Any type of spicy pepper could be used, or it could just be eliminated.

I made this with my favorite Veggie Broth Mix that I always have on hand (1 Tbsp mix to 1 cup water), but it would be good with any vegetable broth.

This was quick, easy, inexpensive, and delicious!  It doesn't get better than that.






1 Tbsp avocado oil
1 Vidalia onion, diced
1 cup veggie broth
4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
2 celery hearts, diced 
1 16-oz bag coleslaw mix
1 large carrot, shredded [omit]
2 Tbsp Coconut Aminos
1" piece fresh ginger, grated
1/8-1/4 tsp Chile de Arbol Powder, opt.
1 scallion, green part only, sliced



In a wok or large sauté pan, heat avocado oil; add onion and cook onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.

As soon as the pan starts to brown, add a small amount of Veggie Broth, and stir to deglaze the pan.  Continue to cook and stir until onion is tender.

Add the rest of the Veggie Broth, plus the garlic, celery, coleslaw mix, and carrot.  Stir, and continue to cook, reducing heat to medium.

Add Coconut Aminos, grated ginger, and Chile de Arbol Powder, if using.  Mix well and cook until cabbage is wilted.

Serve in a bowl, topped with sliced scallion.



Adapted from this recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment